Sunday, September 7, 2008

Turks and Caicos Islands hit by Hurricanes Hanna and Ike

My beloved Turks and Caicos Islands have been hit by TWO hurricanes in less than two weeks! First Hanna, a Category 1, hit last Sunday. It circled the islands and stalled out for over 3 days. Once she finally hit the road, Ike came for a visit. He hit at about midnight last night and was a Category 3. It was a near-direct hit with 220km hour winds to these tiny, low-lying islands. There is extensive damage, especially to Grand Turks and South Caicos. Initial reports say that 80% of the houses on those islands have damage, lots of roofs blew off, even the prison roof is AWOL. Providenciales, the most inhabited of the islands, and the island we visited last year, sustained damage, lots of flooding and has lost it's power as well. I have a very good, long-time, childhood friend who lives there and I'm very worried about him. I've chatted with his brother who lives here in Canada and he assures me that my friend survived the storm in one piece but I don't know the extent of the damage to his home. His mom, step-dad, sister, BIL and niece all live there as well.

I've posted these pictures here before but will post them again. These are the beautiful Turks and Caicos Islands:













No comments: